Don't even think about feeding your pooch any sweets from Christmas, as you run the risk of seriously hurting your dog.
While it’s common knowledge for many that chocolate should never be fed to the dogs, Christmastime is a time when you should be very wary of what is within reach of your favorite pooch. Chocolate is all aroujnd us this holiday, whether it be candies that fall on the floor or hot cocoa left on hte counter.
A new study in the British Medical Journal suggests that Christmas is the time dogs are most at risk of consuming chocolate and therefore getting sick. Dogs were four times more likely to gobble down some chocolate on Christmas than on any other day, although Easter is definitely up there as well.
Chocolate is dangerous for dogs because it has two ingredients that can be harmful to them known as caffeine and theobromine. While humans can metabolize these ingredients, in dogs it causes vomiting, diarrhea, and a fast heart rate, among other symptoms.