A police officer is slowing recovering after an incredibly disturbing event when he came in contact with an overdosed couple.
For three police officers in Boston, it started out as a normal traffic accident involving a minivan. But ended in all of them being hospitalized after being exposed to deadly synthetic opiate known as fentanyl, prompting a hazmat emergency.
Police used the overdose-reversing drug called Narcan on the occupants of the vehicle who were starting to turn blue and had become unresponsive after the minivan they were in hit a parked card. But the responding police officers were exposed to a cigarette box that allegedly contained fentanyl, an incredible powerful narcotic that can potentially kill someone that simply comes in contact with it.
When inspecting the vehicle further, officers detected an “unknown type of powder” in a cigarette box that was between the seats of the van, according to a Boston Herald Report.
“Luckily, the first lieutenant from our department was first to arrive and immediately realized something wasn’t right,” Chelsea Deputy Fire Chief John Quatieri told the Herald. “We upgraded to a hazmat incident. At this point, we expect it may be fentanyl. We’re taking every precaution.”
Two firefighters put on heavy coats and breathing oxygen through face masks to carefully remove the box and backpack. Passersby were cleared from the scene and the whole area was roped off.
The three police officers who responded because to start feeling sick. Two of them had finished their shifts and had started to feel nauseous at home, with one feeling some tingling in the extremities and starting to have breathing problems.
They went to the hospital along with another officer on duty, and fortunately, all were later released. Many other officers with the misfortune to come in contact with fentanyl haven’t been so lucky, sometimes being listed in critical condition, all for making the slightest amount of contact with the drug.