New details have emerged about the slaying of Nita Moseley, a pregnant mother who was allegedly killed by her 14-year-old son in La Marque, TX.
A fourteen-year-old Texas boy has been charged with first-degree murder in the killing of his 33-year-old pregnant mother. According to a report from the Huffington Post, police officers in La Marque, TX were dispatched to a house on the 2800 block of Fannin Street early this Saturday after a neighbor stumbled upon the body of Nita Moseley and her unborn child.
The neighbor explained to local sources that they drove past the house and noticed that the door was open. Checking to make sure nobody had broken in, the neighbor discovered the gruesome evidence of an event that had taken Moseley’s life.
Police officers arrived at the home to discover Moseley’s body lying in a pool of her own blood on the kitchen floor. La Marque police said in a statement that the woman had likely been there for quite a while before being discovered.
The Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office still hasn’t released an official cause of death for the mother. Authorities were unable to find Moseley’s 14-year-old son or her 2014 black Nissan Maxima, but they have alerted local news outlets and police stations. “It is unknown at this time if the juvenile is involved in this case as a person of interest or a victim,” police stated this Saturday.
The search didn’t last long, however, as authorities from Houston found Moseley’s car and her son. The teenager was brought back to La Marque and questioned by investigators on Monday. After a series of questions with the young boy, police filed a first-degree murder charge against Moseley’s son. They have not revealed their suspected motive in the killing.
La Marque police declined to comment on the story on Tuesday, and a press release reported that the teen had cooperated in the ongoing investigation. Moseley was four months pregnant at the time of her slaying.
Moseley’s younger sister, Betty Simons, told local news station ABC13 that she was “lost without her. I’m angry that someone would do this to her. She didn’t deserve this.”
The father of the teenage boy said that his son was a “good kid who was dealt a bad deck of cards. This is a story that will let people know that families need to stick together. When they don’t this is the kind of thing that takes place.”
The family had been investigated by Child Protective Services in 2005, and relatives familiar with the family said that there was a harsh battle over custody for the boy between Moseley and her husband at the time. The relatives also reported that the environment created by the two parents at the time placed the child in probable, imminent, and irreparable injury.
The son stayed with relatives for a few years, bouncing from home to home until CPS became involved again in 2010. It remains unclear how custody was eventually transferred back to Moseley, but it was clear that there was some sort of strife between the parents during the time that the boy lived under their roof. Sources indicate that restraining orders between the parents had been filed several times.