Samsung faces a tough decision - it could fork over hundreds of millions of dollars to Apple, or continue to fight a fierce patent dispute at the US Supreme Court.
Samsung has opted to fight against the massive fine imposed for alleged copyright infringement of Apple products, and they just received word that the US Federal Circuit Court of Appeals has rejected their appeal. According to a CNET report, Samsung has two options – hand over a hefty sum of cash to Apple, or bring the case straight to the US Supreme Court.
The US Federal Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Thursday that it would deny Samsung’s request for a new trial surrounding nearly two dozen mobile devices that have allegedly infringed on Apple’s patents. Had Samsung’s request for a new trial been granted, a new set of eyes would determine whether copyright infringement actually took place.
In light of the decision, however, Samsung faces two choices; it can part with its hard-earned cash and admit to Apple that their designs were used, or it can continue the legal battle at the Supreme Court.
A Samsung spokesperson said, “We are disappointed that our request for an en banc hearing of the US Court of Appeals was denied. For decades, we have invested heavily in developing revolutionary innovations in the mobile industry and beyond. We are confident that our products do not infringe on Apple’s design patents,” he said, adding that the company plans to continue taking steps to protect their intellectual property.
Apple declined to comment on the decision, though they have previously been locked in legal battles with their main mobile competitor over design patents more than a few times.