The famous actor was discovered dead in his apartment over the weekend.
Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman has reportedly died of an apparent drug overdose. The actor was found in his Manhattan apartment. According to police, Hoffman, 46, was found dead on the bathroom floor with a needle in his left arm. Eight empty heroin type bags were also found.
Hoffman was last seen Saturday. On Sunday, Playwright David Katz and another person went to his apartment and found him dead. As crowds gathered, police combed the apartment for evidence.
In a statement released by his family, relatives expressed their grief and noted Hoffman has been dealing with addiction for years.
“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.”
Recognized as ‘a giant talent,’ Hoffman won an Oscar for best actor, playing Truman Capote in the 2005 film, “Capote.” For years Hoffman played the deep, dense characters he loved on stage and in films, recently appearing as game master in “Hunger Games.” He attended the Sundance Film Festival last month premiering “God’s Pocket.”
Lionsgate, called him, “a singular talent and one of the most gifted actors of our generation.”
Hoffman’s father was a salesman and his mother a family court judge. Beloved resident of Greenwich Village, Hoffman often walked his children to school and bicycled in the neighborhood.
Last year Hoffman talked about his battle with alcohol and drugs. He said he kicked a substance abuse habit for 23 years but recently relapsed taking prescription pills and then snorting heroin. Specialists say opiate addiction can lead to heroin fatalities.
Announcing an $8 million heroin drug bust in the Bronx, authorities say heroin use is accelerating with availability spreading. According to authorities, heroin is cheaper and easier to find than opioid prescription pills. But it is much more dangerous because there is no way to regulate the dosage.
Hoffman is survived by his three children and his longtime partner, Mimi O’Donnell.