A man has died after taking a swim in the Gulf of Mexico, when something went horribly wrong.
Authorities are warning the public after a man who ignored warnings about swimming after getting a new tattoo died after swimming in the Gulf of Mexico and getting an infection from a flesh-eating bacteria. The man reportedly had gotten a tattoo on his right calf just five days before taking a dip, a crucifix and a pair of praying hands.
However, after his swim, he began to experience fever, chills, and a rash near the tattoo, eventually developing sepsis in his right calf, which turned purple when he was eventually checked into the hospital. He was placed on life support, and two weeks later his condition worsened and his kidneys failed.
Authorities believe that vibriosis infection and spectic shock is the cause. It may not have been completely the parasite’s fault, as doctors believe that years of alcohol abuse caused his body to become weakened.
“We present a case of Vibrio vulnificus septic shock and cellulitis in a patient with chronic liver disease that occurred after obtaining a leg tattoo with subsequent seawater exposure in the Gulf of Mexico,” the summary from the British Medical Journal states. “Initial suspicion for V. vulnificus was high and he was started on empiric doxycycline and ceftriaxone at admission. Blood and wound cultures grew oxidase positive and comma-shaped Gram-negative rods ultimately confirmed to be V. vulnificus. Despite aggressive initial treatment, the patient developed septic shock and died. This case highlights the association of chronic liver disease and high mortality associated with infections of V. vulnificus. Health providers should remain vigilant for V. vulnificus infections in patients with chronic liver disease and raw oyster ingestion or seawater exposure.”